About This Item
Share This Item
The 330-sq-mi (855 sq km) area includes nine gas fields on the flanks of the pre-Pennsylvanian northwest-southeast feature known as the "Masterson arch." This arch originates on the Masterson Ranch in the extreme western part of the Baylor basin near the Knox and King county line and becomes progressively deeper as it continues to the northwest through the Juniper A and
B, North Juniper, JY, Providence, Prudence, Stescott, and Tippen gas fields, and Prothro (Ramsey structure) and Wilie oil fields where it joins the east-west Matador arch at the structure known as "Narcisso" on the Cottle and Motley county line.
The producing Atoka sandstones or conglomerates consist of medium to coarse, predominately subangular, quartz grains with traces of glauconite. These stratigraphic traps were deposited as offshore sand bars on the northeast and southwest flanks of the Masterson arch. The Atoka conglomerates are erratic, as they were deposited on a steeply dipping erosional surface, with rapidly changing dips. The entire Atoka section between the base of the Caddo Limestone and the top of the Mississippian limestone consists of very hard, dark-gray to black calcareous shale and conglomerate beds. The Atoka shale is very thin on the structural axis, with no conglomerate deposition, but thickens basinward with the development of many different conglomerate lenses.
The Providence Atoka gas field in extreme southeast Cottle County was discovered in October 1973, with the successful completion for 10,200 Mcf/day of the "Gus" Edwards 1 J. J. Gibson. Development to date reveals more than 141 ft (43 m) of gas column with no indication of water, which is present at different subsea depths in other gas fields on this trend. Average absolute open flow for the 14 gas wells in the Providence Atoka field is 11,600 Mcf/day. The porosity ranges from 15 to 21% with average pay thickness of 18 ft (5.5 m).
End_of_Article - Last_Page 1426------------